4 minutes reading time
"Good Gym Manners" with Gypsie Adcox
In this episode of The BOLO Podcast, we're speaking with 29 year old officer Gypsie Adcox from North Carolina. After feeling sluggish for several months she was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis. This kick ass officer isn't letting anything hold her back! With her positive attitude she isn't only motivating herself, but all of us to push past our mental and medical obstacles.
We have a full house in this episode with Gypsie Adcox, Tamrin, Dispatcher Kristen, Big Rich and Mike "mother lovin, dragon shirt" Bires. Heading into 2018, the gyms are going to be packed with everyone trying to fulfill their new year's resolutions. crew is going over "gym ettiquette". The rude, the annoying, and the disgusting things you shouldn't be doing in the gym.
Summary of Interview with Gypsie Adcox:
- Tamrin suggests eyes forward, hat low and RBF is the best way to ward of douches at the gym.
- With the gyms overflowing after the new year keep "gym ettiquette" in mind.
- Don't let your "selfie" interfere with other people's workout.
- 2 people working in should be the max.
- "Respect the bubble" Be aware of the people working out around you and you of them.
- Put your weights and equipment back.
- Don't sit on a machine texting on your phone. Take your break in between sets and get to work!
- Wipe down your equipement. BOOTY SWEAT IS NOT OKAY!!
- Overly arrogant people "peacocking", making crazy workout noises is Mike's pet peeve.
- Do not step in on people's workouts and explain how to do them properly.
- Be aware of your "bits". Wear appropriate attire.
- Sanitizing wipes come in handy to avoid germs. Gyms usually have sanitizing sprays and paper towels as well.
- If you take a shower at the gym, bring flip flops.
- Don't put your naked privates on the benches in the locker room.
- Hair dryers are NOT for drying of your body.
- Don't take pictures of others in the gym. Whether in a mocking manner or being a "creep", it's not cool.
- Don't use your obstacles or medical setbacks become your excuse.
- Gypsie starting feeling constantly fatigued and decided to go to the doctor. She was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and hyperthyroidism.
- She realized that she had to be her own advocate and push past her diagnosis.
- The main thing she eliminated from her diet was high-fructose corn syrup.
- Since she has been taking her medication, it has stabled her thyroid levels and allowed her to shed the pounds she gained from the disease.
- When she began opening up on social media, she found others with the same diagnosis and began to not feel so isolated in the diagnosis.
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is gradually destroyed.
- Gypsie has eliminated energy drinks and soda.
- She has made lifestyle changes in addition to getting the proper medication that her body needs.
- Listen to your body and seek out medical attention if you feel it's necessary.
- Intermittent fasting can help with certain medical issues and aid cell repair.
- Mike has decided to stay on track in 2018 and cut down on booze.
- Tamrin had a holiday survival group to avoid the gain during the holidays.
- Give yourself a fresh start and it's okay to start over. Stay positive!!!
- Stay busy and keep your health a priority. Make good decisions and don't be self sabotaging.
- Living a healthy lifestyle has helped Tamrin stay strong mentally and emotionally.
- Gypsie knows her coping mechanisms and handles challenges with positivity.
- Setbacks are the greatest set up for a come back - Tamrin.
- Trivia: Walking with one or both hands behind your back is a sign of power.
- Tamrin is working on "The Glute Academy" be on the lookout for more info.
- The police academy in North Carolina has 3 different courses you can choose from : day course- 8 hours a day for 3 months, night course- 6-11pm and saturdays for 6 months, 10 month course for jailers or people in civilian positions.
- In North Carolina you can be sworn in before finishing the academy.
- Gypsie's plans for this year are to finish her traffic courses and be a reconstructionist.
You can follow Gypsie Adcox on Instagram @brunettethreat007
Nutrition/Fitness Tip - The Gym: Don't Be A Dumbell
This week's nutrition/fitness tip from Kristen Jauregui
Download The BOLO Podcast App
Leave Us A Rating/Review
We would love it if you would go into your podcast app, scroll down to under the Ratings & Reviews, and tap on "Write A Review." Thank you in advance!