5 minutes reading time
"Chicken Fingers and French Fries" with CrossFit Athlete Ashby Johnston
In this episode of The BOLO Podcast, Ashby Johnston has returned to The BOLO Studio and is giving us the rundown on her experience as a 14 year old competing in The 2017 CrossFit Games in Madison, Wisconsin. She explains to us where she fell short, the events she excelled in, and the aspirations she has moving forward in CrossFit as an athlete. Coach Mike of CrossFit pandemic explains the approach he took in training Ashby and how she has changed as an athlete since competing.
With winter and flu season coming up Tamrin is giving us tips on "Ways To Get Over Sickness Quicker". What foods and vitamins should we take? What should we avoid?
Tainer Kristen with Team Fit For Duty is going over the pros and cons of working out alone, with a partner, and taking classes at the gym.
Summary from The Crew:
Ways to get over sickness include-
- Proper rest and sleep.
- Light exercise can aid in recovery.
- Hydrate. Water, tea, bone broth and drinks with electrolytes; but not too much sugar.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods and stay away from comfort foods filled with carbs and sugar.
- Your body needs proper nutrients to be able to fight off illness. Include foods that will give you energy like lean meats, vegetables, fruits and incorporate probiotics.
- Vitamins A, B, C, E, and iron will help.
- Reserve medication as a last resort.
- A new program in Dallas, Strategic Memory Advanced Reasoning Training or "SMART"; teaching officers to monitor their stress levels and keep stress levels down and to be more efficient when dealing with stressful situations.
- Helps officers manage emotions, stress, and decrease the chances of cardiovascular disease, PTSD, depression, and suicide.
- Apple watch has a breathing function to help with stress management.
- Headspace is a meditating app you can download to help manage your stress.
- An officer dressed up as Colin Kaepernick for Halloween and was fired from his department.
- Mike finished a 1 mile run during his CrossFit WOD, switched his running position and has not been experiencing his leg pain.
Interview With Ashby
- Arriving to the Games a few days before the event, she took it easy only stretching and practicing a few "snathces"
- Ashby competed in the 2017 CrossFit games at 14 years old.
- Coach Mike wanted for Ashby to take it easy and not put her body through too many strenuous exercises. They focused mainly on low impact work, skill work, and form.
- The CrossFit community is motivating, embracing, and encouraging.
- The mature athletes were very encouraging with the teenage athletes.
- Ashby has plans of competing in the games again.
- When she returns she will have to move up an age group.
- The weights get heavier in the next weight class.
- The CrossFit Games has a contract in Madison, Wisconsin and will be held there for the next few years.
- The whole town of Madison had CrossFit banners, specialties, and had the feeling of being a CrossFit town.
- Ashby felt that she fell short of the obstacle course.
- Before the event, Ashby had a 1 time 4-minute pre-run.
- Coach Mike had Ashby focus on aspects of the obstacle that would be harder for her to overcome and skip things that she is inclined to as an athlete.
- During the obstacle event, Ashby had trouble getting over the wall and got stuck. She had to wait to timeout for that portion in order to move on.
- Coach Mike believes that there was some inconsistency in the judging and prepped Ashby beforehand that she could only control what she was capable of.
- You shouldn't have volunteer judges at The CrossFit Games.
- Ashby had some judging issues while doing her handstand pushups when Coach Mike witnessed 18 other girls performing them the same way she was.
- Ashby's mom says that the people watching the games were extremely supportive of all the athletes.
- Ashby excelled in the clean and jerk workout, finishing with 2 seconds left.
- Coach Mike says Ashby went into the events smartly and absorbs information like a sponge.
- If you want to train like Ashby seek out a coach or trainer.
- When Officer Mike returned to the gym received a warm welcome back and his anxieties before returning disappearing.
- Some days Coach Mike works with Ashby for hours.
- Ashby now has a structured diet and is tracking macronutrients.
- She is using renaissance periodization based on her weight and goals.
- Ashby's go to cheat is candy, chicken tenders, and fries.
- Ashby placed "dead last", she says with laughs and smiles.
- With her training now, Mike says she has become a completely different athlete and is focused with a fire.
You can follow Ashby on Instagram @ashby.johnston, Coach Mike @pandemicmike and our hosts Mike @isocialcop, Tamrin @tamrinolden, and Marc @idigitalcop
Nutrition/Fitness Tip - Drop The Phone, The Excuses And Give An Hour To The Gym
This week's nutrition/fitness tip from Kristen Jauregui
Download The BOLO Podcast App
Leave Us A Rating/Review
We would love it if you would go into your podcast app, scroll down to under the Ratings & Reviews, and tap on "Write A Review." Thank you in advance!