In this episode of The BOLO Podcast, we spoke with Detective Jon Monroe. Jon shared his knowledge about concealed carry and he gave solid information on CCW's on the civilian side and carrying off duty for officers. Jon has 15 years of law enforcement experience and does some pretty awesome firearms training with his company Tokoleshe Tactical Solutions. He is the lead firearms instructor at his department, sniper on the SWAT team, was an explorer advisor, narcotics investigator, and is involved in his department's police association and police foundation, helping represent the foundation and the law enforcement community.
Juicy and Tamrin took the reigns this week, while Mike took another trip to the river . Tamrin and Juicy talked about Mr.Olympia, how they balance their cheat meals, the dedication it takes to compete in a fitness competition, and Tamrin's possible comeback in the competing world. Juicy gave an update on his fitness and nutrition, and his newfound mentality which is helping him stay on track.
Summary of the interview with Jon Monroe:
- The process of getting your concealed carry license varies depending on the municipality/agency you're at.
- Most will have some kind of background check of why you want to carry a firearm, and make sure you can make sound decisions.
- In some states, such as Utah, after passing a background check you receive a license to carry.
- If you are going to carry, it is your responsibility to be proficient with that firearm.
- Even with a CCW, you can not carry in schools or court.
- When you come in contact with law enforcement, if you have a CCW, it is important to make it known that they have a CCW and they are carrying. Followed by cooperating with protocol.
- Officers need to be well educated on how to deal with coming in contact with individuals and going step by step of protocol.
- In California, off duty officers are required to lock their vehicle if they leave their firearm in the vehicle by using a lock box.
- Carrying off duty is a personal choice. John suggests that officers do carry off duty in case of emergency situations where you may need to intervene and be able to detain someone who is putting others in danger.
- If you are an officer, you have the proper training on what to do against people who pose a threat. Ask yourself if you would be okay with not intervening in a situation because you weren't carrying?
- When choosing a weapon take your ability and proficiency into account.
- At Tokoloshe Tactical Solutions, when training they do an introduction to firearms and bring out a variety of firearms of different makes, models, and sizes to find something that fits you.
- If you have a firearms range near you, try out different guns you can rent to help you find what you're comfortable with.
- John carries a Glock on duty and off.
- If you are going to buy a gun for home defense you should carry a larger handgun.
- When carrying in your waistband, a smaller gun is practical.
- Find the proper holster to fit what you are doing.
- The appendix carry is the easiest place to draw from, but is not the most comfortable for all day wear.
- If choose to carry in your purse, practice drawing from there. Try carrying a cross body bag instead of on the shoulder bag.
- It is easiest to carry on your person.
- No matter which holster you decide on, be sure to practice drawing from it.
- Being able to control and manipulate your firearm is key.
- Physically when handling a firearm balance is a huge factor. Practice balance, cardio, breathing properly, agility drills, footwork drills, band work when pulling your firearm, and grip strength.
- Tokoloshe Tactical Solutions offers firearms training, introduction to firearms, and precision trainings, customization of firearms. Keep a look out as they will soon be coming holsters.
You can reach Jon Monroe on Instagram @shot_away or @tokoloshetacticalsolutions or go to http://www.tokoloshetacticalsolutions.com
JUICY UPDATE: Juicy has been going to CrossFit daily, following a ketogenic diet, going to school, and working. This guy is busy!! Even with such a demanding schedule, Juicy makes sure he plans out his day to fit in his gym time, plan out his meals, and has a good balance of following his nutrition plan and giving into a few "cheats" within moderation. With the help of the CrossFit trainers helping to hold him accountable, he has taken on this lifestyle change with an, "I'm going to knock it out of the park" mentality.
Follow Juicy on Instagram @wildgrind and Tamrin @tamrinolden
Nutrition/Fitness Tip - Bottoms Up?
This week's nutrition/fitness tip from Kristen Jauregui
Download The BOLO Podcast App
Leave Us A Rating/Review
We would love it if you would go into your podcast app, scroll down to under the Ratings & Reviews, and tap on "Write A Review." Thank you in advance!