5 minutes reading time
"Cakes and Cantaloupes" with Evangelina Galindo
In this episode of The BOLO Podcast, we're talking with Evangelina Galindo. Evangelina has a bachelor's in criminal justice from The University of Maryland and has been an athlete, training speed and agility, for the past 15 years. In less than 30 days she'll be heading up to Northern California for the California Corrections Academy to fulfill her goal of becoming a corrections officer. She is sharing with us how she stays prepared and doesn't allow the scale to determine her progress and allow it to stifle her positive mentality when tackling her fitness.
Trainer Kristen with Team Fit For Duty is elaborating on last week's episode with "3 Natural Sleep Aids". These 3 homeopathic, non-habit forming materials are the sleep aids that Kristen turns to when needing a little help with achieving quality sleep.
Blue Line Flex is focused on great athletic fit with a longer cut for concealed carry while giving back to families of fallen officers. Blue Line Flex is now accepting applications for their brand rep program. You can score some awesome swag to the sport and even receive a paid commission.
- Mike met Evangelina a year ago, when she joined the same CrossFit gym he worksout at.
- She has made huge progress over the past year while training for the corrections academy.
- She doesn't use a scale to avoid discouragement and not become number obsessed.
- She'll probably weigh herself before she goes to academy to track her progress while there.
- As long as she feels good and is noticing progress then she knows she's doing right by her fitness and nutrition.
- She has been playing sports her whole life.
- Tamrin uses a scale as a general measure when seeing where her clients are at, but focuses on the inches and body fat loss.
- Transformation photos are so important in showing your physique changing. Evangelina was her heaviest last year at 182 lbs. 5'4.
- Tamrin's competing weight to normal weight ranges between 30lbs. But they are both healthy weights for her body.
- For the last 3 months Evangelina started to get really serious about her fitness after a breakup.
- Coach Vaughn at Axiom Fitness encouraged her to run with him. He started off challenging her with a 4 mile run and increasing it over time to 8 miles.
- HIIT allows you to burn fat without losing muscle.
- When people do fitness competitions they do 2 a day cardio sessions to drop the last weight.
- Evangelina makes sure that her workouts are altered so she doesn't lose her booty.
- Tamrin went through the process of going through the corrections process to become a correctional counselor.
- Evangelina applied for Riverside County sheriff's, as well as San Bernardino, but didn't get through.
- At her current job she worked her way up from a receptionist, to a social worker, intake coordinator, to a supervisor.
- Now that she has the social work experience she couldn't see herself not getting into corrections.
- She has a family of CO's.
- The process of municipal and corrections is very extensive.
- Her goal is to be a CO and do special assignment.
- Tamrin suggests taking into account your location.
- If you apply with the state, you can be stationed anywhere.
- The program Evangelina is joining is a 3 month 5 day live in academy.
- She was away at The University of Maryland for 5 years.
- When she took the physical agility test she did it in a good amount of time.
- She feels that more of the challenge will be getting her mindset back into a school mentality.
- She teaches her softball girls speed and agility drills.
- Marc says life is too short to not indulge over the holidays!!! Go for it and get back to it in January.
- Keep yourself healthy and stay ready.
- There is no wall at the corrections academy.
- Evangelina loves doing power cleans. In college she set a record of 200 lbs cleans.
- She bases her workout that day on how she's feeling. She doesn't push herself to hurt herself.
- Take the time to focus on stretching and your mobility before going into a workout.
- CrossFit doesn't hurt you. Bad coaching, bad technique, and bad form is when you get injured.
- With bad foods and snacks not readily available in schools it is starting to change the mindset of our children.
- Tamrin makes sure that her children are health conscious, but still allows them to be kids and make healthy choices for themselves.
- Evangeline used to eat happy not healthy.
- Now she makes better choices, but doesn't deprive herself.
- She allows herself to indulge in moderation.
- Evangeline doesn't necessarily follow a strict meal prep schedule. She makes sure she has readily made healthy foods that she can grab on the go.
- People often feel that they need to be ready to join a gym or CrossFit, but the trainers are there to help you get where you want to be.
- Evangelina has a firm faith to keep herself balanced.
- Spiritual wellness helps with your positivity and your perspective of the day.
- She often puts on classical while rowing to center her mind, body, and soul. It allows her to clear her mind of negativity.
- Evangelina believes that what you put into something is what you'll get out of it. Have confidence, believe in yourself, and love yourself.
Nutrition/Fitness Tip - 3 Natural Sleep Aids
This week's nutrition/fitness tip from Kristen Jauregui
Download The BOLO Podcast App
Listen to our show through on iTunes or Google Play, or download our app right onto your mobile device.
Leave Us A Rating/Review
We would love it if you would go into your podcast app, scroll down to under the Ratings & Reviews, and tap on "Write A Review." Thank you in advance!